Wednesday, September 25, 2013

2011 Acura TSX V6 Tech Review


2011 Acura TSX V6 Tech


The TSX is a mid-size sports sedan from Acura that debuted in 2003. Until recently, it was only available with a moderately powerful 4-cylinder engine. In 2010, however, Acura wedged a potent V6 into the engine bay of the cut and chiseled 4-door, and it's this expressive mill that powers my tester. But as the saying goes, "beauty before brawn," so let's talk style and design.



Sorry Miranda, you're wrong
Earlier this season, my Auto123.com colleague, Miranda Lightstone, reviewed the 2011 TSX propelled by the 4-cylinder powerplant. What really caught my attention in Miranda's review wasn't her praise for the vehicle's spirited handling and sportiness, but rather it was her disdain for the styling of the TSX that raised my eyebrows.
I believe she referenced the need to close one's eyes when getting into the TSX due to its alien-bred front grille and other distasteful design cues. I take the opposing view. Eyes wide open, I say, in order that the symmetry, harmonious lines and proper proportioning of the TSX can be appreciated.



I happen to admire the fact that the TSX projects a clean, uncluttered exterior design; something not often embraced by Japanese auto manufacturers. Contrary to Miranda's rant, I see nothing old or unpleasant about the appearance of the 2011 TSX. Over the years, this "fun to drive" sports sedan has sharpened its edges and evolved with the times while maintaining its basic shape and size - and that's all good in my view.



Perhaps the cabin design and layout is where Miranda and I can find some common ground.



Attractive, well executed cabin
A point both Miranda and I agree on is the attractiveness and quality of the TSX's cabin, which is full of buttons but works well nonetheless. Fortunately, Acura has resisted the lure of packaging a multitude of functions into a mouse-like controller - and that's a refreshing find in an upscale ride.



I'm particularly fond of Acura seats and ergonomics, both of which the TSX effectively exemplifies. The front perches are snug fitting yet firm and supportive. Visibility from the driver's locale is expansive and for the most part unimpeded.



The cabin setup and its cluster of buttons requires some time to become truly familiar with but if you're a button puncher, such as I am, the "getting to know you phase" won't take long. Once accustomed to the bells and whistles, the true pleasure of the TSX V6 can be discovered.


No comments:

Post a Comment